Christmas is upon us and as I am not a fan of Black Friday or big box stores I offer to you my list of gift ideas from my favorite local Amelia Island businesses and gift ideas that will suit even the most difficult individuals on your Christmas list. I present to you Tarah Coastal’s Ultimate Cool Stuff From Amelia Island Local Small Businesses Christmas and/or Holiday Gift Idea List. Too long? Fine.
TC’s Amelia Christmas List
1. Charter Fishing gift certificates. There are two ways to go on this, one by land and one by sea. As I had the most wonderful experience with South End Shark Fishing, I of course lean in that direction. As I am not a huge fan of taking a boat out in the deep sea, this was perfect. So if you have a person who wants to delve into something a bit more adventurous without getting too risky in your surprise purchase, this is the ticket. Visit their website at www.southendsharkfishing.com to contact them for a gift certificate.
2. Hola Cuban Café gift certificate or gift basket. Nothing says “Merry Christmas” like downing a Cuban coffee that renders you unable to sleep for three days. Seriously though, this is such a happy spot on Amelia and word on the street is that Chris, the owner, will be dressed as Tiny Tim in celebration of the Visitor’s Bureau “Dickens on Centre” celebration. (Please don’t mention this post if you see him.) www.holacubancafe.com Hola is located on North 2nd Street behind The Palace Saloon just off of Centre.
3. Dove Cote Brocante cuffs and necklaces. I have completely fallen in love with these handcrafted pieces made right here on Amelia Island. All of their items are available for sale on their website thedovecotebrocante.com I personally love the leather cuffs with stamped quotes (in case someone out there is wondering what to buy me for Christmas.) Their store is located at 811 Beech Street on Amelia.
4. Kayak excursion gift certificates. www.ameliaislandkayak.com is the place to go to arrange the best guided kayak adventures on Amelia. The Bullingtons offer years of expertise, guide credentials, and impressive outdoorsy beards so I assure you that you are in great hands. I really enjoyed the Lofton Creed tour but they do offer several others in differing eco environments such as the ocean, river, and marsh.
5. A local book from The Book Loft. This is my favorite bookstore on the island. I love Sue, the owner and her staff who are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Located on Centre Street, just down from Fantastic Fudge, this shop offers a pretty impressive collection of local guide books, nature books, historical books and a plethora of intensely crappy local fiction. They offer free wrapping as well!
Those 5 ideas will have to tide you over for the time being. I will return with more as we edge closer to Christmas.